Monday, 29 September 2014

Politicians are entitled to a private life

I'm getting sick of seeing "scandal" cases about MPs, councillors, council candidates, etc etc in the news and being forced to resign because of some kind of sex scandal, which is often something as banal as sharing photos of your cock in a personal and private chat with someone, as with what recently happened to Brooks Newmark.

I have no idea what a journalist was doing posing as a model to induce him to send photos of his genitals, or why it would be news that, in the 21st century, sometimes people use digital media to "get off", so to speak. The fact he is married is irrelevant, this is a part of his private life, and for a journalist to pass off as someone else in order to expose details of that private life is completely inappropriate and lowers our politics to the same level as the contents of Heat Magazine.

I will be completely frank. I have stood as a political candidate in local elections. There is sexually explicit content on the internet relating to (and of) me, if you know where to look. I make no apologies for this; it is my business and mine alone. It has no impact on my suitability as a local politician. It is none of your business unless you are invited into my private life, and, if you manipulate me into inviting you in bad faith, the shame is on you, not me.

Political parties need to grow a spine and make a pledge that they will not fire, or pressure or force to resign, any of their elected representatives or candidates for so-called "sex scandals" where the acts in question are completely legal. We need to stop treating politicians as though their private sex lives are part of their job, and our parties should take the lead by promising to protect their members instead of throwing them to the wolves over details of their sex lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment